How will you prepare yourself to obtain a great faculty job - and to thrive as a professor once you begin your career?
The Preparing for Faculty Careers course (EDUC 343C, Spring Q) is designed for advanced doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars from any discipline who are considering a faculty career.
By participating fully in this quarter-long course, you will:
- determine how your values, skills, and goals align with a faculty career
- explore different types of faculty roles and different institutional contexts
- discuss how to identify and apply for appropriate faculty positions
- develop a plan to thrive once you land a faculty position
Course sessions will include guest speakers from Stanford and other campuses and small group and individual work. Several sessions will be followed by networking events and informal dinners for participants to learn from each other and from guest speakers. Participants will be grouped by discipline for customized learning experiences.
The four parts of the course will guide participants through an exploration of the academic career and prepare them to launch their academic job search:
- How do I figure out if I actually should pursue an academic career? (“Reflect”)
- What kinds of faculty positions exist and what do these look like in practice? (“Explore”)
- How do I conduct a search and successfully land the right job? (“Dive In”)
- How do I prepare myself for the job?
Open to doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars from any school or department. All participants, including those who audit, are expected to attend each session and to participate actively. Online tools will be used to support participants' self-reflection and individual progress.
Course meets weekly on Thursdays, 4:30-6:15 PM (with optional Tuesday sessions). Grading is Satisfactory/No Credit; 1 unit. Repeatable for credit.
Register via AXESS.
Graduate students who are TGR and postdoctoral scholars may register as auditors. Space is limited. A $100 deposit will be required to audit, which will be returned with satisfactory attendance.
For more information on auditing, please contact Robin Sugiura at email@example.com.
Enrollment limited. Preference given to early registrants.