Effective written and oral communication of ideas is crucial for all scholars, teachers, researchers, and professionals. There are abundant resources at Stanford you can access to improve your writing and speaking skills.
Write clearly, succinctly, and in a style appropriate to your discipline; write in many academic genres including course assignments, conference papers and posters, and manuscripts for publication.
- Hume Center for Writing and Speaking workshops for graduate students: improve your writing skills in these workshops such as Publishing the Journal Article and Getting Started on the Dissertation.
- Dissertation Boot Camp: jump start your dissertation, master’s thesis, or other graduate writing project. Boot Camp provides the ingredients for productive writing: dedicated space and time with minimal distractions, peer support, and expert writing consultants.
- Intellectual Leadership - Creating a Research Agenda: two-session workshop to guide your through the process of designing your future research.
- Turbocharge Your Writing: an intense workshop to give you clear and practical strategies that can greatly increase your writing productivity.
- Dissertation Writing Group Starter Kit: this simple guide will help you form a group to stay on track and motivated through the dissertation-writing process.
Present your work and ideas verbally: in formal settings, such as conferences or job talks; in more casual settings, such as seminars; and to a variety of expert and lay audiences.
- Communication Matters: three-session workshop emphasizing oral communication skills in a professional setting
- Quick Bytes - Speaking to Expert Audiences: a quick and practical overview of how to give memorable presentations.
- Oral Communication Program (part of the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking): offers workshop, individual tutoring, videotaping and feedback, and other services to improve your oral communication skills
Using electronic and social media
Develop and maintain a professional online presence.
- Quick Bytes - Creating Your Professional Web Presence: learn the basics of building a professional website to present your best self to potential employers and colleagues.