Gerald J. Lieberman Fellowship
Gerald J. Lieberman fellowships are for doctoral students in the later stages of their programs. Each year, twelve fellowships are awarded across schools, and distributed in proportion to the doctoral student population. Faculty nominate outstanding students in their first five years of graduate study for the one-year award.
The award honors Gerald J. Lieberman, who served Stanford as provost or acting provost during the tenures of three Stanford presidents. Lieberman was vice provost and dean of graduate studies and research from 1977-1985. In 1985 he was presented the Kenneth M. Cuthbertson Award for exceptional service to Stanford. He was cited, among other accomplishments, for his "tireless efforts on behalf of Stanford's graduate students." He joined the Stanford faculty in 1953 in statistics and industrial engineering. At the time of his death in 1999, he was professor emeritus of operations research and statistics.
The Lieberman Fellowships are intended to support outstanding graduate students who embody these ideals and values, and who will become the next generation of academic leaders. Students who are honored as Lieberman Fellows have already demonstrated outstanding accomplishments, as well as the potential for leadership roles within the academic community and promising careers in university teaching and research.
How to Apply:
Eligible students are nominated by their school. Students must be in their first five years of graduate study to be eligible. Please contact the representative from your school dean's office for more information. When advisor and student are in different schools, use procedures determined by the dean's office of the student's degree program.
- School of Engineering - Samantha Schwartz, Engr_grad_OSA@lists.stanford.edu
- School of Medicine - Chelsey Perry, email@example.com
- Doerr School of Sustainability - Alyssa Ferree, firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Humanities and Sciences - Vanessa Sutter, email@example.com
- Graduate School of Law - Faye Deal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate School of Education - Julie Heinrich, email@example.com
- Graduate School of Business - Dianne Le, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lieberman fellowships are by nomination only.
Contact your school’s dean’s office for more information after you’ve reviewed the fellowship details.