This event was free and open to all, but most relevant to Stanford affiliates.
Registration is closed.
Discover: Social science data sources for your researchMeet: Subject Librarians & Data Provider Representatives at GSB Workshops & the Green Library Data ExpoAttend: Data Talks, Workshops and Demos, Tour the David Rumsey Map CenterWhere: Graduate School of Business Library (GSB) & Green Library
Graduate School of Business Library (Bass Center) from 9:00AM-12:00PMWorkshops and information sessions include:
9:00AM - Bloomberg Basics (B312)10:00AM - Social Science Data & Software (B216)11:00AM - Population Health Sciences Redivis Data Platform (B216)
Green Library (Social Science Reading Room, Bing Wing) from 1:00PM-5:00PM
Data Expo - Data providers (public and private) who will be on hand to meet with you.
Data Providers include:
- California Open Justice Portal
- Gallup Analytics
- IMF (International Monetary Fund)
- NewsBank *
- Policy Map
- Stanford HIVE
- San Mateo County Open Data
- U.S. Census
Data Talks by Invited Guests Speakers (Green Library, SSRC Seminar Room)
- 1:00PM - Tomás Jiménez, Associate Professor, Stanford Department of Sociology, Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Sociology & Director of Undergraduate Program, Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity. Dr. Jimenez will speak about his latest book, The Other Side of Assimilation How Immigrants Are Changing American Life.
- 2:00PM - Jonathan Fisher, PhD. & Emi Lesure, PhD. of the Stanford Federal Statistical Research Data (FSRDC) Center will speak about secure data and using the FSRDC.
- 3:00PM - Sharad Goel, Assistant Professor, Stanford Department of Management Science & Engineering (in the School of Engineering) will talk about the Stanford Open Policing Project.
- 4:00PM - Mark Piercy, Research Computing Technical Liaison will speak about Stanford Research Computing.
Data Demos - Data Analysis Software & Tools (Green Library, Velma Denning Room)
- 1:00PM - Claudia Engel - Data & Data Visualization in R
- 2:00PM - Alesia Montgomery - Coding & Querying Data with Nvivo
- 3:00PM - Scott Bailey & Javier de la Rosa- Histonets
- 4:00PM - Claudia Engel - Drop-In R Lab
Tour the David Rumsey Map Center
- 4:00PM - Meet G. Salim Mohammed at Data Expo for the tour.
Gear Up Reception with light refreshments 5:00PM-6:00PM
Get the full program at: https://library.stanford.edu/projects/gear-research/fall-2017
* Data Provider Sponsors
- Specialized Content Knowledge & Skills
- Learning advanced disciplinary knowledge & skills
- Conducting research & scholarship
- Collaborating within & across disciplines